Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Boots on a Plane

Boots on a plane

I am on my way to Argentina and Patagonia for twelve days of snow fun. Well, six days of snow fun and six days of travel, as we have to wait a bit in Buenos Aires, we zoom around the country to visit different places, and so on.

I have two sets of skis, two pairs of boots, crampons, ice axes, and other fun stuff with me, so regardless of the long way there I think it will actually be fun. This will be my first visit to Argentina, and among other places we'll visit Bariloche, the legendary ski and party destination for the Argentinians, a ski a volcano in Caviahue, and visit Ushuaia, the world's southernmost city. They also have the most southern bar, unless you count the one in Antarctica.

Shopping?

But it will be a long trip, over 33 000 kilometers again. We are also prepared for the eventual airline mistake. As is usual in my travels, I keep my ski boots in the cabin with me. The boots are filled with essential gear, like my ski pants. My backpack contains the jacket, gloves, and my camera gear. I left the ice axes in checked luggage, however.

I should be able to buy or rent the rest, if the luggage gets lost. I'm a bit nervous about that, actually. We're even switching airports in Buenos Aires, and still the airline claims that they will deliver the luggage all the way to the destination. We shall see...

Distances

Route

Photo credits (c) 2012 by Jari Arkko and Tero Kivinen and the Great Circle Mapper

No comments:

Post a Comment